My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wiebkeherding.de
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Great word of the day: AWKWARD



Why do I like this word? Just look at it: The spelling equals the meaning. Awkward comes from Old Norse afugr (= turned backward) and is now used in the following contexts:
  1. embarrassing: I find myself in an awkward situation.
  2. difficult or uncomfortable to use: I find the gear shift very awkward to use when I move the seat forward.
  3. performed gracelessly: walked with an awkward gait
  4. without graceful coordination: an awkward, gangling adolescent
  5. shyly uncomfortable: He was always awkward around kids.
Awkward can be roughly translated with unangenehm or unbeholfen in German.

No comments: